Please sign this petition, and get your friends, colleagues, and neighbors to sign it!
This petition asks for a full investigation of Rhee-Rasure-Gate and an end to high-stakes reliance on these stupid standardized tests. An excerpt:
“As educators and parents, we know that an obsessive emphasis on testing has taken over many school systems across the country — including ours. The multiple high stakes now attached to these tests invite misuse and set the stage for scandal. Students just below proficiency are pulled from content classes for weeks of test-prep. Students in testing grades lose weeks of instructional time.
Teacher and principal bonuses and threats of firing raise the stakes, creating the wrong motivations for educators.
We are calling for the U.S. Department of Education’s Inspector General, and/or the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) to conduct a thorough investigation of testing irregularities in the District of Columbia over the past two years. […]
We further demand that the District of Columbia Public Schools impose a moratorium on practices that focus on the test and test prep rather than on teaching and learning. These include the following immediate steps:
• a moratorium on all high stakes attached to standardized student test scores;
• a moratorium on test-prep and student pull-out from their regular classes;
• suspension of all plans to expand standardized testing to additional grade levels and subjects;
• an end to cash bonuses and awards based on test scores;
• mid-course corrections to the District’s new, punitive teacher evaluation system (IMPACT);
• a new focus on support and accountability for great teaching and deep learning.”